Monday, August 27, 2007

$10 Sale and Design Review

Wishless - Threadless, Best T-shirts Ever

First of all, I'm kinda sad that the sale was now because I was hoping for some shirts that I wanted reprinted to be printed before the sale, but it won't happen. Anyways, it still didn't hold me back from buying shirts today, haha. Here are the reviews for the new shirts.

Anthill Trap
To tell you the truth, this one is kinda lame. I know, that sounds harsh, but it looks like a dirty rainbow and the ants look a little copy-and-pasted, if you know what I mean. It got a pretty nice score tho and I wasn't there to vote for it, so I can't knock the design because it isn't really a bad design, but this is one of those shirts that won on concept more than design.

The Unseen/Unheard
This one is cool and I like how the shirt color is the color of the people outlines. The ghost things just make the shirt even better and I like this one a lot. Great detail and awesome use of transparency.

Rock the Frog
I'm not too fond of this one, but I guess it looks okay. I'm just wondering why the artist didn't do more since this was a select tee. It just seems too mediocre for me to want to spend extra on.

Everybody Loves a Yeti
Now this one is just plain funny. And it is illustrated beautifully. I'm so glad this one won because it looks awesome and the colors work very well, given it is such a simple color scheme.

UR In My Top 8
Finally, someone made a great myspace shirt. Granted, this is a subtle reference to myspace, it is a great idea and it is drawn beautifully. I just love Priscilla's work and this is just another quality design from her. Great job!

Bad Apple
Alright, I get the pun, but my question about this is ... why? Why was this printed? It is too simple and the shirt just looks too plain to me. I just don't think that this design matches the caliber design that should be printed on this site, yet shirts like this continue to be printed on a regular basis. Sigh.

Unicorn
I like this design a lot. The design has that illusion of a gradient when viewed on the shirt. I like this design very much and I think it is a great addition to the collection. I don't think I like it enough to buy it, but it is very well executed and a well deserved print. It also looks awesome on the shirt.

Stupid Raisins, Stay Out of My Cookies
I hate raisins with a passion! But this shirt is kinda weird because of how all the people on the site bash photoshopped photo designs and this one clearly looks like a picture of a cookie was photoshopped to fit the color restrictions and then a bunch of words were thrown on it. I know this is a type tee, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem since I normally don't buy type tees anyways, but I think it is kinda a cop out way of making a type tee. I'm definitely not an expert though, so for all I know, this took a lot of skill to do.

Amazon Addiction
I ADORE this shirt! I love how this isn't just a normal Tetris based design, but one adapted to nature. I also love how the pieces don't show every little line in it, which makes this one even more unique to a regular Tetris design. All-in-all, I think I might get this design for my mom because she is obsessed Tetris.

Grave of the Fireflies
This is just another example of someone that won because of complexity in their design. This design just doesn't appeal at all to me. I don't know what it is. Maybe its the color scheme or all the clashing styles of each thing in the drawing. I also see this halftone halo that I just see as overused in this design.

Wishless
This is just an incredible design. I am so jealous at somni's talent. I would buy this, but as much as I love the design, I can't see myself wearing it. I like the concept a lot, but I just don't think it will look good on me, but that is personal preference. Anyways, this is still my favorite out of all the new prints this week.

Stupid Cupid
This one is hilarious. Cupid is a bad shot, haha. This one is a well deserved win and it is drawn very well. This is an example of where using a pattern in the background works very well with the simplicity of the rest of the design.

Catonaskateboard
This one just annoys me. It is just so, for lack of a better term, ... ugly. I am definitely turned off about the expression on the cat's face and it just makes me want to poke my eye out. And the text for this is just horrendous. Sorry to completely bash this design, but I think it was a poor decision to even consider printing this one.

Strength in Numbers
After the cat one, anything looks better, haha. Actually, this one is quite good. I like the concept a lot and it is designed exceptionally. I really like the addition of the angler fish as the eye. Very clever and great print!

I'm not even going to review the reprints because I can't keep track of what was reprinted. Hopefully my reprint requests are granted next Monday so I can get the shirts I've been waiting for. Lately, I haven't been buying new shirts and have been buying more older shirts because I see a trend in the new designs where less and less of them are compelling me to buy them. A lot of them are great art but not necessarily for t-shirt design. This is just my opinion though, I am sure I will buy some new designs, but I checked my closet and I have only like 2 shirts that were purchased on the week they were printed (1st edition)

No comments: